Department:McGinnis Middle School Social StudiesExt: x24696About:8th Grade Social StudiesUnited States HistoryColonization - Civil War
Class work and Projects – 15%
- Students will be given new class assignments every day in the groups.
- Homework will be assigned if class work assignments are not finished on time. Homework will be given out at least once a week
Projects - 20%
- Some class work assignments or P.B.L.s (Projects) may be marked as a project grade. Some projects will be take home projects.
- Projects: 2-3 per Unit
Quizzes – 30%
- Quizzes will be given every week to assess student’s knowledge on the information.
Tests - 35%
- Tests will be given after each chapter.
Do Now & Essential Questions: 5-10 Minutes
- Students will begin class with a Do Now assignment, which will be located on the board everyday. Do Now assignments will be followed by a classroom discussion.
Whole Instruction / New Material:
- Every day there will be new notes and new material on the board or handed out.
- Student to Student Groups:
- P.B.L.s - Project Based Learning
- Guided Reading – Textbook and Outside sources
- Tier Words – Definition and word analysis
- Geography – Study of maps and locations
- Independent Core Novels - Brother Sam is Dead
- Students will review what they have learned throughout the period.
Marking Period Layout:
- 1st Marking Period – Exploration, Colonization, 13 Colonies, History of Perth Amboy
- 2nd Marking Period – 13 Colonies, Road Towards Independence, and American Revolution
- 3rd Marking Period – Creating a New Government
- 4th Marking Period- Political Development through Reconstruction