Notice & Note Signposts
In Room 238, while we are reading our class novels, we are always on the lookout for any of these literary signposts. When we recognize any of the six Notice & Note Signposts, we discuss it together, and then explain it on a post-it note to be put on our Notice & Note Signpost board. We use all of the notes we have taken to observe any trends throughout different novels.
Contrasts & Contradictions
- A character's actions or thoughts are the opposite of what you would typically expect.
- The moment when the character suddenly figures out something important that changes them or the plot.
- A point when the character stops and asks themselves a tough question. It is usually an "I wonder..." or "Why..." type of question.
Words of the Wiser
- When an older and wiser character offers a life lesson of some sort to the main character.
Again & Again (Motifs)
- When an image, word, or situation is repeated so often that the reader wonders about its importance.
- A flashback or a pause in the story to reflect back on a memory. These moments usually hold important information, even if you don't realize it yet.