Patten School Parents:
As we enter the month of December and are preparing for the holidays and our winter recess, it is important to remember that we expect all Patten School students to continue to work hard, and for all Patten parents to continue to support the efforts of their children.
Learning does not stop when school is out. While you and your family are enjoying the holiday season and the recess period, take every opportunity to provided learning opportunities for your child. Some ideas for supporting your child’s academic growth during this time are:
- Read every day. Your child should read 20 – 30 minutes each day. Remember that books make wonderful gifts, and your child also can read on-line through the I Ready
- Use the internet wisely. Let your child go on educational websites during the recess.
- Let your children help around the house. Teach them responsibility by giving them specific tasks and chores to do during the recess.
- Encourage your child to write. Let your child keep a Recess Journal. They can write about all of the fun and exciting things that they have done during the recess. Examples of some topics for journal writing are:
- My favorite Christmas gift
- The best part of my winter recess
- What I missed about school during the recess
Have a happy, healthy and safe holiday season and winter recess, and have your children prepared to attend school when we resume on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
Home School Liaison