Degrees and Certifications:
Hello and welcome to my page. My Name is Mrs. Alvarez and I teach 6th grade Math. I have been at the McGinnis School since the 2000-2001 school year. It is with great excitement that I write a brief bio about myself.
I have earned an Associate's degree in Liberal Arts-Psychology from Middlesex County College, Bachelor's degree of Arts in Psychology from Kean University and a Master's degree of Science in Education Leadership with a specialization in Leadership in Educational Administration from Capella University.
I have had the honor to work hand in hand on many projects and initiatives in our district such as the Include Grant, benchmark writing (Math), curriculum writing (Math & Science), pacing guide writing (Math & Science) and planning guide writing (Math & Science). I have also served in many school-wide committees. They are the School Leadership Committee, the Curriculum and Assessment Committee and the Family Night Committee. I have also served in district-wide committees such as the 4th-5th Grade Alignment Committee and the Diversity Committee. In addition, I served as the coordinator of the Summer Enrichment Program for McGinnis School in which I supervised teachers and oversaw the safety and educational process of about 200 students. Thereafter, I served as the coordinator for the Summer Math Camp at Samuel E. Shull Middle School in which I supervised the staff and about 70 students. Lastly, I also served as the Leader for the 5th Grade Math Professional Learning Community from 2011-2015. Currently, I am serving as the Bulldog's House Leader's Assistant.
The following details some more information about myself.
- Principal’s Certification
- New Jersey Elementary Education P-3 and K-5 Teacher Certification
- 2011-2012 William C. McGinnis Middle School Teacher of the Year Award
- Capella University’s President’s List 2011-2015
- Community Activist Award, presented by E.E.O. at Kean University, 2005
- Academic Achievement Award, presented by E.E.O. at Kean University, 2005
- The Tenacity Award, presented by E.O.F. at Middlesex County College, 2002
Memberships and Associations
- Epsilon Epsilon Omega Honor Society, member since 2005
- Diversity District Committee Member: (2008-Present)
- School Leadership Committee Member: (2009-Present)
- 4th-5th Grade Alignment Committee Member: (2010-Present)
- The Association of Mathematics Teachers of New Jersey Member: (2009-Present)
- American Federation of Teachers Member: (2005-Present)
- Capella University Alumni Association
- Kean University Alumni Association
- Middlesex County College Alumni Association
Languages Fluent in reading, writing and speaking Spanish
I believe in fostering strong positive relationships with the local community and school communities. I am also a firm believer of establishing ambitious academic goals for all my students. In establishing these goals, I look beyond traditional expectations and I work vigorously at assisting my students to achieve their goals. Given the many unique obstacles my students may face, I try my best to provide resources that will ensure that my students fulfill their true potential. Helping my students improve performance over time through a constant process of self-evaluation and learning is one of my many goals. It is important for me that my students walk away knowing that as part of their team I have shared their vision of academic achievement and that together we have worked towards meeting the goals set.