Department of Special Services
Welcome to the Department of Special Services
Join us for the Special Education Parent Advisory Group (SEPAG) for the 2021-2022 school year. Please review our SEPAG flyer general information about the group. If you would like to join us, please complete the Google Form and our Department will connect with you. If you are unable to join us, please use the link to the "comment box" Google Form if you would like to leave feedback.
Parents of students with disabilities who are eligble to participate in the Extended School Year (ESY) program as per their child's Individualized Education Program, kindly review the ESY letter to the community for information (April 27, 2021).
ESY/Child Study Team Summer Staff: Please click here for Daily Attendance (June 16, 2021).
Parents of students with disabilities are now able to view their child's last finalized Individualized Education Program (IEP) and progress reports at the end of each marking period through the Infinite Campus Parent Portal. For additional information, please see the steps to view finalized IEPs and progress reports in Infinite Campus.
Kindly see the important announcement regarding additional information on "The Road Back: Restart and Recovery Plan" for the Department of Special Services.
Be sure to "like" the Department of Special Services, Perth Amboy Schools on Facebook for additional information and resources.Dr. Jessica Neu, BCBA-D, Director of Special ServicesEmail: email@example.comPhone: (732) 376-6200
Ms. Diane Dahl, Supervisor of Special Services, Preschool - Grade 4
Phone: (732) 376-6200Ms. Allison Chavanon, Supervisor of Special Services, Grade 5-12
Phone: (732) 376-6200Ms. Kelly A. Madonia, Secretary to the Director and Supervisors of Special Services
Phone: (732) 376-6200 ext. 30-222Ms. Irma Rock, William c. McGinnis and Perth Amboy High Schools Child Study Team Secretary
Phone: (732) 376-6200 ext. 30-225178 Barracks St.Room 204
Perth Amboy, NJ 08861
Special Services Directory (Click Here)
Who is eligible?
Children between the ages of three (3) and twenty-one (21), whose parents are legal residents of the Perth Amboy Public Schools, are eligible. Students between the ages of 3-21 can be evaluated by the Child Study Team (CST) to determine if there exists an educational disability.
- Referral: A referral is the first step in the special education process. It is a formal written request that a student be evaluated by the CST to determine whether an evaluation will be conducted and/or if a student is eligible for special education and related services.
- A case manager is assigned and identification meeting is scheduled within 20 calendar days (excluding holidays). The information is collected regarding the child’s educational process.
- Identification Meeting: Participants include parent/guardian, all CST members, at least one of the student’s general education teachers. A decision is made as to whether a CST evaluation is necessary.
- No Evaluation or Evaluation: If an evaluation is deemed appropriate, an evaluation plan is written describing the required evaluations and parental consent is obtained. The process begins.
- Eligibility: Once evaluations are completed, an eligibility meeting is scheduled to determine whether the student is eligible for special education and related services or speech and language services. The case manager or evaluator will review the evaluation results and answer all questions. The case manager will discuss the rationale for determination of eligibility or non-eligibility.
- IEP Meeting: Once a student has been fund eligible for special education and related services or speech and language services, and IEP must be held. This meeting is required before any special education services can commence. The purpose of the meeting is to determine the student’s current educational status and develop a program designed to meet the student’s unique needs. This meeting may be held immediately after the eligibility meeting with parent consent or within 15 days of the eligibility meeting.
- In class resource programs
- Pull-out resource programs
- Learning and Language Disabilities Programs
- Autism Programs