Welcome to the Department of Special ServicesThe Department of Special Services is seeking input from parents regarding our draft Department Mission and Vision statement. Kindly review the statements below and then click on the link to provide feedback in English and to provide feedback in Spanish. Thank you in advance for your partnership!The Department of Special Services is proud to present a series of parent training sessions and opportunities for parents to provide input regarding our District programs and services. Kindly click on the attached link for detailed information. We look forward to seeing you!Phone: (732) 376-6200Dr. Jessica Neu, BCBA-D, Director of Special ServicesEmail: email@example.comPhone: (732) 376-6200
Ms. Diane Dahl, Supervisor of Special Services, Pre K - Grade 4
Phone: (732) 376-6200Ms. Allison Chavanon, Supervisor of Special Services, Grade 5-12
Phone: (732) 376-6200Ms. Kelly A. Madonia, Secretary to the Director and Supervisors
Phone: (732) 376-6200 ext. 30-222Ms. Irma Rock, Elementary Schools CST Secretary
Phone: (732) 376-6200 ext. 30-225178 Barracks St.Room 204
Perth Amboy, NJ 08861
Special Services Directory (Click Here)
Who is eligible?
Children between the ages of three (3) and twenty-one (21), whose parents are legal residents of the Perth Amboy Public Schools, are eligible. Students between the ages of 3-21 can be evaluated by the Child Study Team (CST) to determine if there exists an educational disability.
- Referral: A referral is the first step in the special education process. It is a formal written request that a student be evaluated by the CST to determine whether an evaluation will be conducted and/or if a student is eligible for special education and related services.
- A case manager is assigned and identification meeting is scheduled within 20 calendar days (excluding holidays). The information is collected regarding the child’s educational process.
- Identification Meeting: Participants include parent/guardian, all CST members, at least one of the student’s general education teachers. A decision is made as to whether a CST evaluation is necessary.
- No Evaluation or Evaluation: If an evaluation is deemed appropriate, an evaluation plan is written describing the required evaluations and parental consent is obtained. The process begins.
- Eligibility: Once evaluations are completed, an eligibility meeting is scheduled to determine whether the student is eligible for special education and related services or speech and language services. The case manager or evaluator will review the evaluation results and answer all questions. The case manager will discuss the rationale for determination of eligibility or non-eligibility.
- IEP Meeting: Once a student has been fund eligible for special education and related services or speech and language services, and IEP must be held. This meeting is required before any special education services can commence. The purpose of the meeting is to determine the student’s current educational status and develop a program designed to meet the student’s unique needs. This meeting may be held immediately after the eligibility meeting with parent consent or within 15 days of the eligibility meeting.
- In class resource programs
- Pull-out resource programs
- Learning and Language Disabilities programs
- Integrated Preschool Program
- Consultation Services